The following is a true story, only the names have been changed, to protect the guilty.

Friday, November 25, 2016

Work Vacation

.    
The Lacrosse River Water Trail is a great idea...I liked it 
Work vacation?  Oxymoron, nope.  This past summer I spent a lot of time working out of town. While this may be common for many people, for the last 20+ years in my field it's been uncommon to me.

Lacrosse River....took this most of the way back into town


End of the line Minnesota Point 

It was really hot this day.... jumped in the lake 4 times to enjoy the unusually warm water temps

Below Palisade Head

Headed out to Shovel Point
The company I work for, installing commercial kitchens, is quite large and contracts just about anywhere, most of it is in the states adjoining Minnesota. When I heard there were a couple jobs in Duluth I jumped at the chance to go. Duluth is "the shit" and pretty much a giant playground. Although my wife wasn't to enthusiastic about not having me home to help out around the house there wasn't much that could be done....money pays the bills.
Night time in canal park.....did this a few times

Dry creek bed on the Moon Lander


first time here, it was freakin' awesome

one of the nights spent hiking and exploring

One night spent four wheeling with a co-worker
 I've heard about all the bad shit that comes along with work related travel but I was determined to make the most of it. The goal was to play every night after work. I only missed out on two nights of my 4 weeks in Duluth and a couple nights in Lacrosse WI, due to rain and a resupply night. I really only had one good night in Lacrosse, I never found any good trails to ride and didn't like the feel of the town....Sorry Lacrosse , I don't like you. Hopfully I'm wrong and someone can point me in the right direction some time.
I call this an adventure swim

more adventure swimming...near Split Rock Lighthouse


Kayaking out in the Duluth Harbor


Fridays are always a loss due to driving home but Monday thru Thursday are fair game. For some reason I just wasn't that into riding as much as normal this summer and opted for the pack raft, kayak or just exploratory hikes most of the time. I attribute this to, paddling being less strenuous after a 10-12 hour day at work lifting heavy things. This is  kind of a shame, since Duluth has really freakin' awesome MTB trails, they also have this really freakin awesome lake...Superior.     The lake won most of the time, and I got a lot more comfortable in my tiny inflatable boat,as well as seeing some stuff I've had on my to-do list for a while.
Duluth icon


The back of my work van....don't tell my boss

fishing pier /former loading dock .....never knew it was here until this summer


very large arch on Superior

This photo is pretty much staged but the way the evening worked out was fate.   on my way to go explore this spot I found a lighter on the roadway,,, a few hundred yards down I found a can of bug spray. After finishing paddling the full moon came up and it was such a perfect night I stayed and built a fire with my new found lighter and used the last drops of repellent to fend off the bugs. Rode home around 9:30 pm and went to bed....probably the best night spent on the north shore all summer     
  Since I was working on schools, my last days were just before they opened, sending me home for the summer. My agreement with work is to be home during the school year, but I'm wearily looking forward to next summer in the hopes I may get some jobs in cool locations.

D Rider ...................................out

1 comment:

  1. Well Done! When we rode back from your place this summer we had not really seen anyone in 4 days. When we rode into Duluth the parks were full of people acting like zombies staring at their phones and wondering about. Unbeknownst to us, they had just released Pokemon Go and that was why everyone was acting so weird. it was very surreal to ride through the Duluth Waterfront with the smart phone zombies

    ReplyDelete